Thursday, May 10, 2012

Easter......through the eyes of a three year old.

Easter was very memorable this year.  Not that it hasn't been in the past but this year Claire's perspective of the holiday made it stand out.  The day before Easter, we took a family trip to Dothan to do a little shopping.  On our way home, I decided to explain the story of Easter to Claire.  My story was quickly interrupted after the first sentence.  Here is how our conversation went....

Me:  When Jesus died on the cross they put him in a tomb.
Claire (very abruptly): Mom, Jesus died?!?!?!
Me:  Yes honey.
Claire:  Yesterday??  How??
Me:  No not yesterday.  A really long time ago.
Claire:  That's sad.  How did he die?

I quickly figured out that we weren't going to get very far into this story because Claire couldn't get passed the "Jesus died" part of the story.  So I decided to let it go and explain it when she got a little older.  

Fast forward to the Easter morning.  Daniel and I decided that the "Easter Bunny" would lead Claire on a treasure hunt to find her Easter basket.  We hid clues in plastic Easter eggs and Claire went from room to room until the last clue led her outside to her playhouse where she found hers and Owen's baskets.  The clue in the last egg read:

Happy Easter!
Celebrate because Jesus is alive!

Claire quickly whipped around with a huge smile on her face and yelled...

"Mommy, Jesus is alive!  He's alive!  He's not dead mommy!"

The excitement on her face was priceless and Daniel and I couldn't stop laughing.

We quickly went outside to find her basket and let her hunt the eggs that were hidden in the yard.  After the egg hunt we headed to church.  On the way home from church I asked Claire if she enjoyed her bible class.  Apparently the teacher told the story of Easter and used a golden egg as Jesus' tomb.  Claire quickly informed me that "her teacher told her that Jesus was alive and he came out of a golden egg."  

Needless to say, Claire was a bit confused this Easter but I'm sure one day she will put it all together.  It was fun to celebrate the holiday through the eyes of a three year old.


On Saturday we took Claire and Owen to and Easter festival on post.  They got to sit with the Easter bunny.










Sunday afternoon, we headed to a local park for a potluck get together with friends.








No comments: