Thursday, September 22, 2011

Daniel's New Study Corner

While my dad was in town, Daniel decided to use his help to make a new desk for the office/guest bedroom.  Our house in Alabama has four bedrooms which seemed like more than enough room when we moved in.  However, when you throw another baby in the picture, the rooms fill up quickly.  So we've had to combine the office with the guest bedroom.  The desk we used to have was pretty large and wouldn't fit in the space once we moved a bed into the room.  So I drew a picture for Daniel with an idea for the desk and he went to work.  I love that I have such a handy husband who is willing to try any, ok most, of my ideas. 

 Because the room is so small, we went with a long, skinny desk and mounted it to the wall on two sides. We used a galvanized plumbing pipe as a leg on one side.
 I designed some cheap shelving that we hung with rope, as opposed to mounting them on the wall.  We just bought some cheap wood and I painted them while Daniel constructed everything.





 Once the shelves were hung, it was time to finish up the desk top.  We used brown packaging paper, maps and flight school posters to decorate the top of the desk.

We added some puck style lighting to the bottom of the shelves that illuminates the desk well. 


And finally, we had a piece of glass cut for $30 to put on the top of the desk to give it a finished look.  All in all, it was a very inexpensive project and does the trick for giving Daniel a space to study over the next year or so.

2 comments:

Monroe Family said...

I wish I could borrow the two of you for about a week! :) Looks amazing!

Erin said...

Thanks Stephanie!