A couple of weeks before Halloween, Claire had a terrible accident that ended with a trip to the hospital and surgery for 20 stitches. Daniel was on morning flight line this particular week and had gotten up around 3:30 to get ready for work. I stayed in bed but was in and out of sleep as I listened to Daniel get ready and then head out the door. I heard Daniel's truck start in the drive way and then I heard a bang. The noise wasn't super loud and I assumed that Daniel had come back into the house and dropped something. A couple of minutes later I heard Claire crying from her room. I got up and headed across the house to her room and as I made my way into her hallway, she was already walking out of her room. We have a nightlight in the hallway and I immediately saw blood running down her face. I grabbed her and took her to the bathroom to see what happened. I couldn't believe the amount of blood. Claire had fallen out of her bed.................a bed that she has slept in for over a year with no issues. Her face and hair were saturated and there was blood all the way down to her toes. It was obvious that she had a huge gash on her nose that would require stitches so I gave her a towel to hold on her face and got dressed to head to the ER. As we were driving I asked her if anything else hurt. She kept mentioning her ear. When we got to the ER it was obvious that her ear was cut too but I couldn't tell how bad it was because her hair was stuck to the wound and she refused to let me touch it.
The doctor saw us pretty quickly and I asked if there was a plastic surgeon on call that could stitch her up. I didn't want a railroad track scar across my baby's face if it could be avoided. However, in the small town of Enterprise there was no plastic surgeon available. The next best think was an ear, nose and throat doctor. They called the doctor in to see Claire and he immediately said that she would need to go to surgery because of the amount of stitches required and the fact that she was only three.
Luckily Daniel's flight commander allowed him to leave work and he made it to the hospital while Claire was in surgery. After all was said and done, she ended up with 15 stitches in her nose and 5 in her ear. After her grogginess wore off, she was ready to go just like nothing had happened. We stopped at Walmart on the way home to purchase a rail for Claire's bed. Better late than never I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment