Monday, January 25, 2010

Master Bath Make-over

I've been a slacker this week when it comes to blogging.  We really haven't had a lot to report.  It was a very low key week and I didn't take any pictures.  Although the week was uneventful, I can't say that for this past weekend.  We took on the task of re-doing our master bathroom after living in our house for over three years.  It's just been one of those things at the bottom of the priority list until now.  I'm really pleased with the result and wish we would have done it sooner because we went from..........

                                             THIS                                                      TO                             THIS!!!

We stared on Friday night after we got home from work.  Our first task was to remove the ugly, contractor grade mirror.  Our suspisions were right........the mirror was completely glued to the wall which made taking it down difficult.  Daniel fabricated a wedge out of sheet metal and had to hammer the piece in between the wall and the mirror in order to separate it from the wall.  He was able to get the mirrow down in one piece but unfortunately, in the process of hammering the metal, he hit one of the globes on our new light fixtures and broke it.  We had to order a new one.


After the mirror came down, it was time to patch and repair the drywall.  While Daniel did that, Claire and I did this........

Claire enjoyed her fruit snacks and I enjoyed a nice glass of wine.   We were both very happy!


Saturday morning we headed to Home Depot to buy paint and a few other supplies.  I picked a neutral color very similar to the existing shade and then picked a cream color for a bold stripe.  After I got the base coat painted, Daniel drew the lines for my stripes.


After the stipes were painted it was time to put it all together.  This was the end result!! 


I found the fabric for my no-sew curtains at our local fabric outlet for about $6 a yard. For a tutorial on how to make these click here.  I'm still on the hunt for some sisal bath rugs to but until I find the right ones we'll have to make due without.
 

I was originally going to just frame the existing mirror.  However, I ended up finding the perfect mirror for the space at TJ Maxx for $79 and couldn't pass it up.  I think the new mirror is one of the highlights!
Her is a picture of the mirror before.........


And after!  We also added the new light fixtures above the mirror.


Another big upgade was getting rid of the shower curtain and adding a sleek shower door.  Luckily Daniel is  handy man and was able to do this himself which saved us the cost of installation.  Here is the shower before the door installation.


And this is after.  It think it made the bathroom look bigger as well.  This is also a good picture of our new stipes.  I think they're fun and add texture to the room.


Lastly, we added a new chandalier above the tub (my personal favorite addition) and some shelving for towels. 


In my very biased opinion, we went from drab......


To fab!!!  I really love our new room!

3 comments:

Legaspi Family said...

Very nice! When can yall come down and do mine LOL! By the way we enjoyed our night in the hotel. We ended up coming back a day early because the weather was bad and we had ran out of things for a toddler to do. Thanks again for the free stay!

Jenae and Steven said...

Your bathroom looks amazing! Love the mirror and new shower door.

Miss seeing you everyday a work, let's get together soon!

Kimberly Tripp said...

that does it. I totally need to replace or frame our big bathroom mirror. That looks so great! I've had fun checking out your blog (when I should totally be cleaning). BTW, nice shirt :) Craig and I still wear ours too. When I wear mine, Joshua tells me to stop wearing Daddy's shirt. Nice.