A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to making a fabric headboard that we will use in our guest bedroom. I struggled with what shape to make the headboard and went back and forth between a simple rectangle shape to a more fun and interesting curved shape. Daniel finally talked me into a little bit of both. Here is the design that we came up with. After careful measurement to ensure that our shape was exactly half of the width of our queen size bed, Daniel cut this template out of cardboard.
I loved the shape but had reservations about how hard it was going to be to upholster. The next step was tracing the shape onto the plywood and then flipping it over to trace the other half of the headboard.
Daniel used a jigsaw to cut the wood to perfection.
Claire wasn't a fan of the noise from the jigsaw. When Daniel started sawing, she jumped into her jogger stroller and hid behind the clear plastic so she could still see what was going on.
I knew that I wanted to tuft the headboard so after cutting the plywood to shape, we laid out the buttons that I made so we could figure out what spacing we liked. Then Daniel drilled holes in the wood so that I could run an upholstry needle through the wood, foam and fabric in order to secure the buttons.
After the holes were drilled, I laid out the 2" foam and used an exacto knife to cut the foam to the size of the wood. I used some tape on the seams to keep the pieces in place.
The last thing left to do was cover the headboard in fabric. Unfortunately this wasn't a very smooth process as I had anticipated. The different curves and stair steps of the headboard were impossible to cover. I gave up and told Daniel that we would just have to buy another piece of plywood and make a simple rectangle that would be easier to cover. However, Daniel got his creative wheels turning and decided to get the jigsaw back out. He removed the stair step portion of the design and made it just one big curve that was easier to upholster. I LOVE how it turned out. We haven't hung it on the wall yet because I want to paint the room first. So for now, it's sitting on top of the existing bed so disregard the glimpses of the black headboard behind our new fabric one.
Once I get the rest of the room together I'll show you the final result!!










No comments:
Post a Comment